Fun fact about me. . . Did you know I love to camp? I actually really do! I also loved visiting my grandparents cabin when I was a child. I loved it so much, I felt my children had to have one too and begged my dad to build one as well.
Thankfully he didn’t, because we ended up moving far, far away . . . too far to have enjoyed it. 😅 So I relish now that my family is having the opportunity to live so close to nature.
Because of sensitive plumbing in the RV, sometimes I get to do some of my cooking outside. I actually enjoy having our food prepared in the outdoors. Nature almost gives our food an extra special flavor. Do you agree?
But there is always a lesson to learn when nature is involved. Like finding poky, barb like weeds all over your pants, after bending over to drain bean liquid from your pan. Ouch! How did they even get there?
Oh well, the food tasted great! It was a huge 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻!!!
“Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.”2 Thessalonians 3:12
Cute scripture! 👆🏻 I love looking up topics to study in my scriptures. I found this scripture while searching the topic of bread. It brings me joy to think of how much I have loved cooking and how there is a quietness to the work. But I haven’t always loved to cook.
When I was first learning to cook, I hated my cooking. I rarely thought it tasted good. Ask Paul! But after LOTS and LOTS of practice, and many blessings of opportunities to learn new ways to cook for my family, I can now say I feel confident in the kitchen.
What a blessing to have this gift at this particular time in our lives!! I had no idea how much I depended on my freezer, a large fridge, my large crockpot, Instantpot, air fryer, and oven. Now that I have been without them for the last 3 months, I’m learning to boil or cook over the fire (propane stove) more often and I am finding good results.
It’s good for me to learn these new skills. And it’s good for our children to see what learning something different, and possibly difficult – but working at it a little each day, looks like. 👍🏻
Some of our go-to recipes the last 3 months have been (those with ☀️ have a link to the recipe):
• Nachos with beans & meat. Drizzled with BBQ sauce and then topped with coleslaw or lettuce tossed in ranch dressing. Yum!
• Tuna casserole in a pot☀️
• Broccoli salad and microwaved potatoes☀️
• Beef stroganoff over microwaved potatoes or pasta☀️
• Easy pasta – pasta noodles, zoodles added the last 3 minutes, drain liquid, add marinara sauce and cottage cheese. Stir. Top with favorite hard cheese.
• Hot dogs!!! Yummy and fast!
• Grilled pizza!
• Irish Stew☀️
• Fried rice☀️
• Sloppy Joes☀️
• BLTA Pasta Salad☀️
• Creamy Italian Chicken over rice☀️
• omelets with asparagus and chicken (I like mine with fresh mushrooms)
• Quesadillas with ham or pepperoni
• Steak, potatoes and asparagus
• Rotisserie Chicken Caesar Salad with craisins
• Slum in a pot (boiled potatoes, easy cheese sauce, topped with steamed cauliflower, broccoli, sliced carrots, and peas)☀️
• Chicken piccata☀️
• grilled pork chops
• Tuna, Egg salad, PB & J, PB & Honey, or deli meat sandwiches
• Eggs – scrambled, fried, boiled
• Bean burritos
• Taco salad or soft flour tacos
• Crepes! ☀️
• And lots of ice cream!
I hope you are having fun learning new ways to cook yourself! The baking isle seems raided each week. I smile when I see it emptier than usual and think of all of you out there, giving baking a try! I hope it works out for your good!